The 403 Squadron was formed overseas in March 1941 during the Second World War. In May 1941 they were redesignated as a fighter squadron with RAF Fighter Command tasked with offensive operations flying the Supermarine Spitfire MK1. By the end of the war the squadron had become the RCAF’s second highest scoring unit with at least 125 enemy aircraft and over 100 ground targets destroyed.
The unit was disbanded in July 1945, but reformed in October 1948 at RCAF Station Calgary as the 403 Fighter-Bomber Squadron and given the title "City of Calgary".
Motto, Stalk and Strike.